Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Royal Wedding Breakfast


Wishing Jeeves were here to take charge.

Two days to go for Prince William and his bride-to-be, Kate, and the silver service isn't polished yet. Great Scot, that makes me a laggard!

On the up side of preparations for a Royal Breakfast at my friend Trish's castle, I've made a pastry cream and a Blackbird Bun (see above). This bread is my twist on Scotland's Black Bun from The Book of Bread by Judith & Evan Jones. I tip my fascinator to them (British term for fancy headpiece. Please see Ellen Christine Millinery, sharper than Jeeves himself, if you need hat guidance. Like her hats, Ellen stands above).

To celebrate the twining of new monarchs, Trish and I took repose at the nearby Cultured Cup tea shop to muse on our strategy for serving guests at 4 a.m. Dallas time. I had a lovely cup of tea whose name translates into "floral marriage," or something. We knew the dress for our event would be tiaras and pajamas, but what to serve?

Given the early call to the post of this blessed thing, we decided on an egg and sausage casserole of the type you make up well in advance and pop in the oven as Kate processes down the aisle. Bangers, beans and tomatoes would be on the plate if we were turning the castle into a pub, but for us, we'll go with strawberries and whipped cream (stand-in for clotted variety), Madeleines, lemon tea cake, rolls, fruits and an unusual item with ties to the French Pyrennes. Right ho, it's not Welsh, Scottish or remotely Irish, but I'm desperate to try this recipe from Bernard Clayton Jr.'s book The Breads of France and How to Bake Them in Your Own Kitchen.

He gives you the Gateau Basque - not a cake, bread or a pie, but something of all three. It makes up similar to a pie with top and bottom crust, and includes pastry cream and cherries. Brilliant!

Assorted jams will add the final touch of color and sweetness.  (Bless me, I forgot the flowers.)

God Save the Cream!

(Photo by John H. Ostdick for Singing Wheat Kitchen)

No comments:

Post a Comment