Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Holiday Cookie Tips

If you were in my holiday cookies class at Sur La Table, you heard me say "Vodka!"

Let me explain. We were flourishing the royal icing onto gingerbread, and I was giving caution that these white icing surfaces need time to dry before painting designs on top. If you missed how alcohol entered the conversation, here it is:

To paint any design on the royal icing of your cookie, first let it dry completely. To apply the paint, mix a little gel food coloring with a splash of vodka. You can stir it up with a toothpick until you get the color you want. The vodka helps hold the gel paste in suspension for brushing.

Simply mix - I use an old muffin tin and mix in the different muffin holes - then apply with a brush. If you want to check your color before committing yourself on the cookie, use a broken cookie or one you don't like and make it your test version. Practice on that.

Friends, it can be hard to get everything said in a 2-hour class, so let me offer a pledge that if clarification is needed, I'll use this space to add background. Helping you get a handle on breads, French pastry, macarons, cupcakes, chocolate, all things involving butter, sugar, flour and eggs is a pleasure and a joy.

Please let me know what I forgot to blurt in class, and let's get it solved.

Head to your rolling pins and take off!

(Photo: Hand-painted Highland Park Scots and tuile-batter peppermint sticks)

No comments:

Post a Comment